Stirrings

It's spring at long last!

Snowdrops sprang up first, submerged in six inches of snow. I spotted them on a dreary day in early April. What a delight!


These are the snowdrops two weeks later - they last a long time! I did not plant them - they are a gift left by one of the previous owners! Note the yellow winter aconite beside it - this came in a packet of "early bloomers" that I planted in autumn 2017. I had never seen them before and am not sure I love them, but they do give a welcome glimmer of yellow in the early spring.



In the packet of early bloomers there were also some "iris reticulata" - tiny purple irises that grow from a bulb, not a rhizome. I was so pleased with those that I ordered more last year. Now I have many of them! They come in yellow as well, but I have decided to concentrate on this deep purple colour.



There are 23 in the picture, below, sprinkled along the border of the side garden. They are hard to see, though. Next year I think I will plant snowdrops beside them, as the combination of crisp white and deep purple is glorious. Plus, they bloom at the same time!


Also in the side garden, purple crocus. Yes, yes, very lovely, but I was not thrilled to see them, as they are growing precisely where I planted guinea hen / fritillaria bulbs! I am pretty sure that the company I used, Breck's, sent me the wrong bulbs! This is the second time they have done this...grrr. There are two more sprouts, and I am waiting to see what they come up as, then I will contact Breck's for a refund. I don't think I can blame the squirrels for this one, as they are coming up in exactly the zigzag pattern in which I planted the fritillaria.

I have never seen fritillaria in bloom, so I was really looking forward to seeing them! Now, even if I get a refund, I will need to wait another year before seeing a fritillaria! So unimpressed. Next year I am ordering from Vesey's!


More winter aconite - a cheerful little golden cup surrounded by a green ruff.


Many other bulbs are sprouting, but these early bloomers are particularly welcome in the early days of spring!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lily of the Valley

Arrangements

Pattern